Sunday, October 08, 2006

Rose Glow Fields

Sunset on fields or Rose Glow... is very pretty this time of year. I wanted to capture the stacked layers of the varied field colors where I live in southern Illinois. We are just starting to turn colors here but the corn has been harvested so the fields are brown and cream colored. The soybeans are brilliant yellow orange with hints of green. The trees are green with touches of yellow and orange.

This piece was my first attempt at pictorial art quilts.... now I know why... UGH!

I used my darning foot and stitched lots of loops on solvy to create the trees and line of hedge along the green strip. I wanted the trees to be a bit puffy with some texture. I used fabric markers in the rows and trees to add a hint of pink.

I machine quilted rocks in the wall at the bottom of the piece.

Overall I am not pleased but it was fun to try out the solvy and the pictorial style. The challenge aspect was a blast.
Quite certain I did not capture depth however. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Jax said...

The piece is 13 by 15

3:00 PM  
Blogger Linda Cline said...

But you did achieve depth in your quilt. I can felt the piecefulness of your fields at sunset. The bright orange color of the strip near the bottom helps bring the forground near and reflects the color of the sky. The relative coolness of the strip behind the trees helps that area recede. The smaller trees also add to the depth of your quilt. I love the texture in the sky. I like that your strips are at an angle. I think the angle also creates the illusion of depth.

Your horizon line has divided your quilt about in half wich breaks the rule of placing the horizon line either a third up from the bottom or a third down from the top, but that doesn't really bother me with your quilt. You might try masking off part of the sky to move your horizon up, and seeing how that changes your quilt. But I like the color variation in the sky, how it gets darker at the top. That would be lost if you cropped your quilt. You could also try cropping the bottom half of the quilt to focus the attention on the sky.

A wonderful first attempt at a landsape. Love the colors and the texture.

Linda cline

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home